I tried to start meditating a couple of years ago and really struggled with it. I would sit down and try to stop thinking, think about a million things, and shortly give up. I definitely understand the struggle of wanting to meditate, but giving up with “unsuccessful” sessions.
Here are 5 tips that helped me get past my initial frustration! I am by means no pro, and have a long way to go, but these tips might help you if are new to mediating or wanting to start!
1) You don’t have to sit criss-crossed on the floor. I like to lie down with my feet on the ground and palms up by my hips most of the time. Do whatever is most comfortable for you!
2) Start small- I would give your first couple of tries about 3-5 minutes in length. Once you get used to that, you can start to boost up your time (if you want.)
3) Follow your breath- the first thing you can do to tune into your body is follow your breath. Take deep breaths in & out and concentrate on that motion going throughout your body.
4) Acknowledge the noises around you- it’s very rare to find a place to meditate in complete silence. There’s always going to be a noise from the outside or a creak in the house. Instead of trying to ignore it, acknowledge the noise and move back to your breath.
5) Don’t have a ton of expectations- that was my number one hurdle!! I expected my mind to completely stop thinking right off the bat and it never did. (of course haha) Be ok with not having a grand session every time- sometimes you just get a few moments of silence in and it’s ok! ✨
I hope these tips helped! Let me know if you want me to do anymore like this, or if you have tips too! Xo