Winter is in the air, and I’m craving a breakfast that is going to keep me warm and cozy in the mornings. Don’t get me wrong, I love smoothies and yogurt bowls, but I need a balance of warm and cold foods for breakfast so I’m not freezing all day!
I typically don’t eat eggs during the week because I haven’t found a good make-ahead method that has worked for me, and I’m not trying to cook before work. (I have done it though haha) I’ve tried making egg muffins but they always either stick to the pan or all of the veggies sink to the bottom of tin- it’s definitely something I’m doing wrong, but I wanted to take a break from attempting to make those again! (lol)
So I decided to try out making a frittata and it actually turned out better than I thought it would! I used butternut squash, onion and kale for my veggie ingredients because I am trying to cook more in season- but you can use whatever fillings you like.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 butternut squash, cubed
- Few stems of kale, chopped
- 1/3 sweet yellow onion
- 3 tablespoons of unsweetened cashew/almond milk
- Sea salt, pepper, garlic, nutmeg, rosemary and cayenne pepper (optional, but adds a nice balance)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Heat olive oil in a skillet on medium heat and add the butternut squash and onion. Cook until butternut squash is soft, about 12-15 minutes.
- While the veggies are cooking, whisk or blend eggs + cashew milk together until combined. (I blended mine to make it extra fluffy, but it’s totally optional!)
- After the butternut squash is soft, add in the kale and stir.
- Season to your liking with salt, pepper, garlic powder and rosemary (fresh or dried)
- Add a dash or so of nutmeg and cayenne pepper
- Once the kale is cooked down (about a minute) pour the eggs into the pan and transfer to the oven and bake for about 10 minutes, until the center is cooked through.
- Let cool and enjoy!
This is the perfect breakfast to enjoy on a cool winter morning or to heat up quickly before work! I eat mine with a side or fruit, gg crackers or toast. Also avocado sliced on top would be delicious!